OSHEAN Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) Services
Combining OSHEAN’s state-of-the-art fiber network with a world-class cloud infrastructure creates a truly unique virtual private cloud (VPC) offering that enables members to maintain the performance, compatibility and security of their private network. This includes a connection to the OSHEAN virtual private cloud which is "On-Net," located at an SSA-16 certified state-of-the-art Data Center in Andover, MA. Members can gain secure access by seamlessly standing up a virtual private network.
As part of the OSHEAN cloud offering, members also have access to the OSHEAN “Beach,” which operates as a test and development environment for virtual computing and desktop applications for members to prove out their applications and get a feel for the ease of use of these new cloud services. This reduces the complexity, time and cost of the pilot and test phase of the process.
Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS): OSHEAN VPC Compute
OSHEAN VPC Compute is a comprehensive cloud compute and storage solution accessible over the Beacon 2.0 backbone. Features and benefits include:
OSHEAN Membership Cloud
VMware vSphere, Cisco Unified Compute, and IBM XiV, HP
- Provisions on-demand, usage-billed, fully managed application and network infrastructures.
- Boasts architecture resiliency, and best in breed architecture components.
Utilization-based billing model
- Allows for customer transparency at both the architecture/design level and data location level.
- Allows for VM creation using pre-configured templates.
- Features built-in business continuity and disaster recovery.
Advanced compute and storage platforms at a highly available, Tier 3 data center
Instantly configurable on-demand CPU cycles and scale up/down storage
- Provides a single panel for customer management.
- Agent-based replication.
- Self-service VM backup.
- Role-based access control.
- Data backup and recovery.
- Business continuity.
- Secure remote archiving.
- Mobile file sharing and access.
- On-demand scalability.
- Elastic resources to meet the on-demand nature of today's compute environment.
- Enable seamless integration of both on premise and cloud-based application delivery
Storage-as-a-Service (STaaS): OSHEAN VPC Storage
OSHEAN VPC Storage is a flexible offering which has two platforms; one for I/O intensive applications and a second highly cost effective offering for disaster recovery and archival storage applications. Features and benefits include:
OSHEAN Membership Cloud
Two storage type options
- Provisions on-demand, usage-billed, fully managed storage environment
Utilization-based billing model
- High I/O demand applications (I.e. databases)
- Value storage
Integration with member front-end data management application
- Pay by the usage - scales up and down on demand
- Flexible billing models
Desktop as a Service (DaaS): OSHEAN VPC Desk
The VPC Desk Platform enables OSHEAN to deliver Desktop as a Service (DaaS) to provide virtual workspaces, including full desktops, shared desktops and applications to membership end-users as a monthly subscription service.
The offering provides a complete virtual workspace from the cloud, over the Beacon 2.0 backbone, delivering desktops and applications as an easily managed, integrated cloud service. Service can be delivered to users anywhere, on any device. Features and benefits include:
- Multi-tenancy to enable secure role separation between OSHEAN, IT and end-users
- Low cost of delivery.
- Desktops and applications in the cloud, with no need to buy and manage additional hardware and software.
- Premium user experience.
- Highest model of security through host-based rendering.
- No upgrades required for new operating systems and applications.
- Dynamic network adaption for Wide Area Network-based DaaS offering.
- Each client has their own dedicated resources for compliance and security reasons
- Complete enterprise integration for:
- Active Directory.
- Campus applications.
- Group file share.
- User document storage.
- User profile storage.
- Collaboration server.
- Source revision control.
- Patch management.
Video Conferencing/ Video on Demand: OSHEAN Video Commons
OSHEAN Video Commons service allows for technical and non-technical users alike to quickly and easily create live or on-demand webcasts. These presentations can then be edited and placed in the media management system where they can be searched, accessed, and tracked. Members who subscribe to the Video Commons Service will be provided with video conferencing equipment and assistance with both setup and management of streaming events.
OSHEAN's Media Management System (MMS) provides a scalable, proven solution for driving critical communications, and training initiatives via video capture, streaming, and archiving. Through the MMS' visual communications programming system, members can:
- Centrally schedule and manage remote capture station units.
- Secure access by authenticating and tracking viewers.
- Ingest and enhance third-party video assets with viewer tracking intelligence.
- Organize assets via a custom-branded searchable portal.
- Administer video-triggered online testing and certification
- Control the distribution of streams over the network
- Deliver performance-based analytics and reporting
Whether our members need the capability to edit and store media, or just a place to store, stream, and present multimedia files, OSHEAN’s Video Commons Service meets those needs.
Domain Name System
OSHEAN offers DNS services for the cloud based on Dyn’s global Anycast network, which has multiple points of presence (POPS) and assures high site availability and low latency for a superior user experience. Delivered as a managed DNS service, there is no need to buy hardware, install software, or hire more IT personnel.
Managed DNS addresses all of our members' current and future DNS needs including handling DNSSEC, IPv6, an easy-to-use management portal, advanced logging and reporting -- all with the lowest cost of ownership.
Disaster Recovery Puzzle Completed at Bryant University
Business continuity, data replication, security and disaster recovery can be complex topics. In our fast paced world of technology innovation our OSHEAN members can be faced with costly investments and challenging technical implementations. To that end, Bryant University has recently implemented a highly innovative approach utilizing Actifio’s Copy Data Storage solution over OSHEAN’s Beacon 2.0 fiber network to NaviSite, OSHEAN’s cloud partner.
read full member story